It’s that time again: the German Aerospace Center (DLR) is continuing its tradition of sponsoring a special prize in the European Satellite Navigation Competition in the ESNC’s 2013 edition. Under the theme "Robust GNSS – Safety for Success", DLR is focusing on safety-critical applications and advanced techniques in connection with Galileo research and time signals. Anyone interested can submit and fine-tune their proposals from 1 April to 30 June 2013. The competition is designed to attract the participation of companies, research institutes, and other organisations, as well as private individuals.
1. Safety-critical applications for traffic and transport
- Interference: identification methods, countermeasure development
- Ionosphere effects: measures for interference suppression, fault correction
- APNT: solutions for alternative positioning, navigation, and timing
- Accuracy and integrity: optimised techniques
2. Galileo for science and precise time signals
- Robustness: further developments in time synchronisation for critical infrastructures
- Research: scientific applications in the field of measurement technology and systems
The winner(s) of the "Robust GNSS" special prize will receive a voucher for five man-months of DLR services designed to aid them in the ongoing development and systematic realisation of their idea – in the form of feasibility and concept studies, for instance, or prototype and business development assistance. The consulting and development services DLR is offering are valued at EUR 50,000.
The international ESNC, meanwhile, presents the opportunity to compete in multiple categories. It also includes a special contest for students. The competition’s jury will then select the overall winner – the GALILEO Master 2013 – from among all of the regional and special prize finalists.
The ESNC has been organised annually by Anwendungszentrum GmbH Oberpfaffenhofen under the patronage of the Bavarian State Ministry of Economic Affairs, Infrastructure, Transport, and Technology since 2004.