- HRSC (High Resolution Stereo Camera), German-led project; developed for the Mars-96 mission.
- MaRS (Mars Radio Science Experiment), German-led project: Study of the atmosphere, surface and gravitation
- PFS (Planetary Fourier Spectrometer), Italian-led project; German participation: Infrared spectrometer for the investigation of the atmosphere
- ASPERA (Analyser of Space Plasmas and Energetic Atoms), Swedish-led project: Analysis of the reciprocal effect of the Mars atmosphere with the interplanetary medium
- MARSIS (Mars Advanced Radar for Subsurface and Ionospheric Sounding), Italian-led project: Investigation of the Martian soil depth and also the upper atmosphere
- OMEGA (Observatoire pour la Minéralogie, l’Eau, les Glaces et l’Activité), French-led project; developed for the Mars-96 mission: Infrared spectrometer for the investigation of the surface composition
- SPICAM (Spectroscopic Investigation of the Atmosphere of Mars), developed for the Rosetta mission: Ultraviolet spectrometer for the investigation of the atmosphere.
Lander (lost December 2003)
- Gas chromatograph, mass spectrometer
- PLUTO drill (German-led project), Robotic arm for sample analysis
- microscope-, panorama- and wide-angle cameras (German participation)
- Mössbauer and x-ray spectrometer (German participation)
- environmental sensors