ATV-1 was closed in the largest version of the Ariane 5 fairing on 25 February 2008 and it was placed on the top of special version of Ariane 5 two days later. The launch took place on 9 March at 04:03 CET when the Vulcain main engine was ignited and solid rocket boosters fired. Ariane 5 twice used its upper stage engine to finetune the orbit and release ATV to the trajectory leading towards the ISS; Ariane's mission was ended 1 hours and 7 minutes after take-off when ATV separated from upper stage.
The ATV is well protected under the fairing at the top of the Ariane 5 against the high aerodynamic pressures occurring during launch up to an altitude of about 100 kilometres. Once the launcher leaves the Earth’s atmosphere about 3 minutes after launch the fairing is jettisoned.
After the launch, the ATV Control Centre in Toulouse monitored it for three weeks in space. The tests included, among other things, the verification of attitude control, navigation system and the testing of emergency procedures that can be used to cancel the coupling manoeuvre. ATV is in this phase, about 2000 km away from the space station.
After docking to the ISS, the crew can unload the ATV payload. ATV can carry a maximum of 7.5 tonnes of payload to the ISS. The so-called "dry payload" includes clothing, experiments and spare parts for the ISS. The astronauts can float to the front section of the ATV and move the dry payload into the Space Station. In this area of the ATV, the environment is similar to that on Earth; the pressure is one bar, the temperature 21 degrees Celsius and breathable air is available. Before unloading, the astronauts must enter the ATV with goggles and breathing mask to protect themselves from possible flying parts. This is a standard procedure during the docking of new vehicles or modules. As a precaution, The air in the ATV is then filtered with a small "vacuum cleaner" to remove any small particles.Also located on board the ATV is the so-called "wet load". This includes fuel for the ISS, water, oxygen and other gases. The payload is moist and is unloaded by the astronauts. The ATV contained 4.7 tons of fuel, needed to raise the orbit of the ISS.
ATV Jules Verne was launched into orbit with 5.8 tons of fuel. 60 percent of this fuel was used for the flight of the space shuttle, the demonstration manoeuvres and re-entering the atmosphere after undocking from the space station. The other 40 percent was used to raise the orbit of the ISS, using the so-called reboost maneuvers.The ATV also brought 860 kilograms of propellant to the ISS. The fuel was pumped through the docking port to the tanks of the Russian Zvezda module. This fuel is necessary for the ISS' autonomous orbit and altitude control.There were 270 kilograms of water on board Jules Verne for the crew of the ISS. The ISS crew needed the water for drinking, for food preparation and hygiene.Jules Verne also brought 20 kilograms of oxygen on board, which were introduced manually by the crew and released into the atmosphere of the ISS.
ATV Jules Verne brought approximately 1200 kilograms of so-called "dry payload" into orbit, including 500 kilograms of food, 136 kilograms of equipment for the Columbus research laboratory, and approximately 80 kilograms of clothes for the crew. The rest included equipment for the ISS, for example, for the payload compartments in the Russian service module.
A view of the International Space Station from the approaching space shuttle. On the left, the ATV Jules Verne with outstretched solar arrays. The ATV Jules Verne docked to the ISS on 3 April 2008.
The International Space Station with the ATV in the foreground. In addition to transporting cargo to the ISS, the ATV is designed to raise the orbital altitude of the ISS. The space station loses close to 250 metres of altitude every day by friction with the residual atmosphere.
The ISS above the cloud-covered ocean. At the bottom of the image is ATV Jules Verne. In this image, Jules Verne was in a low-power state, the so-called sleep mode.
After unloading the ATV is used to hold things that are no longer needed aboard the ISS. The ATC can hold up to 6.5 tons of solid and liquid waste. Jules Verne undocked automatically from the ISS in September 2008 and went on to re-enter Earth's atmosphere. At a steep angle of approach, the ATV finally burned in the atmosphere across the southern Pacific.
21 tons of mass, including nine tons of payload, make the ATV the largest spacecraft after the space shuttle. A unique feature is that the carrier has a combination of automatic docking while at the same time fulfillling all safety requirements for a manned flight.