The 'Pearl of the Adriatic', situated on the Dalmatian coast, became an important Mediterranean sea power from the 13th century onwards. Although severely damaged by an earthquake in 1667, Dubrovnik managed to preserve its beautiful Gothic, Renaissance and Baroque churches, monasteries, palaces and fountains. Damaged again in the 1990s by armed conflict, it is now the focus of a major restoration program coordinated by UNESCO. The red roofs of the heavily built up city centre glow brightly. Because of the image’s high one-metre resolution, the city wall and defence fortifications can be easily recognised.
The image was taken on 15 December 2006 by the Ikonos satellite and has a resolution of one metre. It covers an area of five by ten kilometres.
Credit: European Space Imaging/DLR.