You are here:
Compact Test Range
Service & Links
Archive - Conferences
Nominations and Awards of the Institute
Doctor's Degree Dr.-Ing. - Martina Gabele
3 May 2013
- Martina Gabele, our former colleague at the Radar Concepts department defended her thesis today on 3 May 2013 entitled „SAR/GMTI for Space-Based Radar with Two-Dimensional Antenna Arrays" at the Karlsruhe Institute of Technology (KIT) - very successfully! Her work is an important contribution for the design of future SAR satellites with GMTI capability. Dear Martina, our sincere congratulations!
Among the Best Degrees in 2012 - Patrick Thiemer
18 January 2013
- We are very glad to announce that our Diploma student Patrick Thiemer, Department Reconnaissance and Security - Microwave Sensors, has been awarded the title "Among the Best Degrees in 2012" for his Diploma thesis „Aufbau und messtechnische Verifikation eines breitbandigen digitalen Pulsradars“ at the Hochschule Würzburg-Schweinfurt and the Hans-Wilhelm-Renkhoff-Stiftung. We congratulate him very much to this outstanding work and wish him all the best with his new engagement at TESAT Spacecom.
Doctor's Degree Dr.-Ing. - Marc Rodríguez-Cassolà
14 December 2012
- We are glad to announce that Marc Rodríguez-Cassolà successfully defended his dissertation on Thursday, 13 December 2012, at the Karlsruhe Institute of Technology (KIT), with the work: "Bistatic Synthetic Aperture Radar Data Processing". His work is a milestone in the history of SAR due to the innovation of his contributions, both theoretical and experimental, which have brought the Institute to be recognized as a worldwide reference for bistatic SAR data processing. We congratulate him for his outstanding work!
Elevation to IEEE Fellow - Gerhard Krieger
12 November 2012
- It is our great pleasure to announce that the IEEE Board of Directors, at its November 2012 meeting, elevated Gerhard Krieger to "IEEE Fellow", effective, 1 January 2013, with the following citation: For Contributions to Advanced Synthetic Aperture Radar Systems. Within the next two months, Gerhard will receive his IEEE Fellow pin and certificate. Both serve as visible recognition of his elevation to the highest grade of membership in the IEEE. Recognizing the achievements of its members is an important part of the mission of the IEEE. Each year, following a rigorous evaluation procedure, the IEEE Fellow Committee recommends a select group of recipients for one of the IEEE’s most prestigious honors, elevation to IEEE Fellow.
Member of the Advisory Board of the Bundeswehr Agency for Geoinformations (AGeoBw) - Prof. Dr. Helmut Süß
7 November 2012
- Prof. Dr. Helmut Süß, department leader of department Reconnaissance and Security at the Microwaves and Radar Institute, has been appointed to be a member of the advisory board of the Bundeswehr Agency for Geoinformations for a period of three years.
Among the IET RADAR 2012 Five Best Student Papers - Michelangelo Villano
26 October 2012
- We are very pleased to announce that our colleague Michelangelo Villano has been awarded being one of the five best students at the IET Radar 2012, the International Conference on Radar Systems, held in Glasgow, UK, 22nd - 25th October 2012. His paper entitled "Staggered-SAR for High Resolution Wide Swath Imaging" is co-authored with Gerhard Krieger and Alberto Moreira. We would like to congratulate Michelangelo and his co-authors to this achievement.
Doctor's Degree Dr. sc. - Seung-Kuk Lee
24 October 2012
- We are very glad to distribute the message that Seung-Kuk Lee defended successfully his dissertation on Wednesday, 24 October 2012, at the ETH Zurich. He presented his research work in 20 minutes and were 1 hour examined by the committee. His thesis is entitled: "Forest Parameter Estimation Using Polarimetric SAR Interferometry Techniques at Low Frequencies". The doctoral degree "Dr. sc." has been awarded from the Department of Civil, Environmental and Geomatic Engineering. We would like to congratulate him for this milestone in his professional carrier.
"DLR Science Award" in recognition of scientific achievements - Pau Prats
19 September 2012
- Pau Prats, head of the Multimodal Processing Group of the Institute, has been awarded with the DLR Science Award (DLR-Wissenschaftspreis). This Prize is awarded every year primarily to young scientists at DLR in honor of their outstanding scientific achievements which must be documented in refereed scientific journals. The awarded work of Pau Prats is entitled: “Processing of Sliding Spotlight and TOPS SAR Data Using Baseband Azimuth Scaling”, published in IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, Vol. 48, No. 2, February 2010. Congratulations to Pau Prats! The award will be presented during the DLR General Assembly Meeting, beginning of December in Cologne.
Novel radar satellite technology nominated for the German Award for Technology and Innovation (Deutscher Zukunftspreis)
12 September 2012
- Scientists of the Microwaves and Radar Institute with their project "Radar Eyes in Space - Revolutionary Technology for Earth and Environment" are nominated for the German Future Award "Deutscher Zukunftspreis". This award of the German president for Technology and Innovation is presented every year to scientist and developers whose innovations lead to application-oriented and herewith marketable products. The prestigious award will be presented by the German president Bundespräsident Joachim Gauck, end of November in Berlin.
IEEE W.R.G. Baker Award 2012 goes to 7 scientists of the Microwave and Radar Institute
23 July 2011
- The IEEE W.R.G. Baker Award has been handed over today, on 23 July 2012, to seven scientists of our institute during the Plenary Session on IGRASS 2012 in Munich. The IEEE W.R.G. Baker Award is presented by the IEEE Board of Directors for a most outstanding professional article published in an IEEE publication reporting original work. No more than one award may be given in any year. The award will be presented in 2012 for the first time since 2002. The prized paper is entitled „TanDEM-X: A Satellite Formation for High-Resolution SAR Interferometry” published in IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, Vol. 45, Issue 11, Nov. 2007, co-authored by Dr. Gerhard Krieger, Prof. Alberto Moreira, Dr. Hauke Fiedler, Prof. Irena Hajnsek, Marian Werner, Dr. Marwan Younis and Dr. Manfred Zink.
Doctor's Degree Dr. rer. nat. - Eren Culhaoglu
24 July 2012
- It is a great honour for us to tell you that our colleague Eren Culhaoglu defended today on 24 July 2012 his thesis entitled "Microwave Metamaterials: Superlensing and Design of Low Reflection Coatings" at the Technische Universität München "with distinction".
Doctor's Degree Dr. rer. nat. - Thomas Jagdhuber
06 July 2012
- Yesterday, on Thursday, 05 July 2012 afternoon, after 6 hours sweating, 30 min presentation and 1 hour questions the dissertation committee congratulated Thomas Jagdhuber for this excellent research work entitled "Soil parameter retrieval under vegetation cover using SAR polarimetry" and awarded him with the doctoral degree. The degree has been awarded from the University of Potsdam, Faculty of Mathematics and Natural Sciences. We would like to congratulate him for this milestone in his professional carrier.
Senior Scientist – Irena Hajnsek
21 June 2012
- Prof. Dr. Irena Hajnsek, Head of the „Pol-InSAR“ group at the DLR HR Institute and Professor at ETH Zurich has been awarded the title „Senior Scientist“ of DLR on June 18, 2012. This recognition has been presented to Prof. Hajnsek from DLR executive board members during a commemorative event. The award "Senior Scientist" appreciates outstanding achievements of DLR scientists.
Certificate of Recognition of TanDEM-X Achievements and Impact to all the TanDEM-X Team
30 April 2012
- A satellite mission has been awarded for the first time during the EUSAR 2012 conference in Nuremburg, Germany: The TanDEM-X mission received a "Certificate of Recognition of TanDEM-X Achievements and Impact". A percentage of 30% of all EUSAR 2012 contributions referred to TanDEM-X and all TanDEM-X presentations have been presented excellently at the conference. The award was handed over to Dr. Manfred Zink who received it representing the whole TanDEM-X team at DLR and in the industry. Congratulations to all the TanDEM-X team!
DLR IDEA Award 2011 - Markus Peichl and Stephan Dill
16 January 2012
- We are very glad to annonce that Dr.-Ing. Markus Peichl and Dipl.-Ing. Stephan Dill, Microwaves and Radar Institute, have been granted the „DLR IDEA Award 2011“ for their project proposal „Mikro-Vol“ in the frame work of the DLR wide call for proposals in „Safety First – Sicherheit im Griff“.
Doctor's Degree Dr.-Ing. - Junghyo Kim
05 December 2011
- On Friday, 02 December 2011 our colleague Junghyo Kim successfully defended his thesis entitled „Multiple-Input Multiple-Output Synthetic Aperture Radar for Multimodal Operation“ at the Karlsruhe Institute of Technology(KIT). His work is very innovative and depicts an important contribution for future radar missions.
ARGUS-Preis 2011 - Christopher Hepner
19 October 2011
- Mr. Christopher Hepner has been awarded this year's ARGUS-Preis granted by EADS-Cassidian. His master's thesis "Preparation of 3-D Radar Signatures from Tower Turntable Measurements with Sparse Aperture" done in Research Group
was sucessfully defended at Prof. Münzner, Hochschule Ulm. The Award will be presented to him on 20 October 2011. For this, he will give a talk at EADS Ulm. We congratulate Christopher to this success and would like to thank him again for this extraordinary work.
DLR Research Semester - Josef Mittermayer
19 September 2011
- Recognizing his outstanding research achievements and for the promotion of further studies, Dr.-Ing. Josef Mittermayer, Microwaves and Radar Institute, has been grated a "DLR Research Semester" by the DLR Executive Board. The DLR Research Semester allows DLR scientists conducting their studies for one semester at a research institution abroad. Josef has been informed about this award decision in a personal letter already in May this year.
Sustainable Resource Management (SRM) Award - Astor Torano Caicoya
12 August 2011
- We are glad to announce that Astor Torano Caicoya received the Sustainable Resource Management (SRM) Award donated by the Audi Foundation for Environment "Audi Stiftung für Umwelt". The SRM Award has been issued by the Audi Foundation for Environment in 2010 for promoting great achievements in the field of sustainable resource management. It honours graduates in course Sustainable Resource Management of Technische Universität München (TUM) with great achievements. Astor finished his master thesis in the Pol-InSAR Group and is working towards his doctoral thesis since 2010 with the goal to derive innovative forest biomass algorithms based on the 3D forest structure and on Pol-InSAR techniques. Astor's work poses a bridge-building function between the complex nature and new technologies and is a basic contribution to the aimed Tandem-L mission goal. We congratulate him to this award and wish him furthermore success in the future.
DLR Research Semester - Helmut Süß
05 August 2011
- Recognizing his outstanding research achievements and for the promotion of further studies, Prof. Dr. rer. nat. Helmut Süß, Microwaves and Radar Institute, has been grated a "DLR Research Semester" by the DLR Executive Board - already in May last year. The DLR Research Semester allows DLR scientists conducting their studies for one semester at a research institution abroad. Professor Süß just returned from his DLR Research Semester now. He has been at the Naval Postgraduate School in Monterey, California, from April until July this year.
Doctor's Degree Dr.-Ing. - Matthias Jirousek
25. Juli 2011
- We are glad to announce that on Friday, 22 July 2011, Matthias Jirousek defended his doctoral thesis "Abbildendes Mikrowellen-Spektrometer mit Apertursynthese" (Imaging Microwave Spectrometer with Aperture Synthesis) with great success. Congratulations!
Franz-Xaver-Erlacher-Förderpreis 2011 - Astor Torano Caicoya
08. Juli 2011
- We are glad to announce that Astor Torano Caicoya received the Franz-Xaver-Erlacher-Förderpreis 2011 (Franz-Xaver-Promotion-Award) - an award promoting young scientists and PhD students. Astor finished his master thesis in the Pol-InSAR Group and is working towards his doctoral thesis since 2010 with the goal to derive innovative forest biomass algorithms based on the 3D forest structure and on Pol-InSAR techniques. Astor's work poses a bridge-building function between the complex nature and new technologies and is a basic contribution to the aimed Tandem-L mission goal. We congratulate him to this award and wish him furthermore success in the future.
Senior Scientist - Kostas Papathanassiou
10 June 2011
- Dr. Kostas Papathanassiou, Head of the Group “Information Retrieval” at the Microwaves and Radar Institute has been awarded the title „DLR Senior Scientist“. This title recognizes the achievement of outstanding scientists in DLR. The award has been presented to Dr. Papathanassiou by a member of the DLR executive board at a commemorative event in DLR on 6 June 2011.
Doctor's Degree Dr.-Ing. - Fritz Jochim
29 March 2011
- Today we are proud announcing that Fritz Jochim defended yesterday (28/03/2011) his Doctoral thesis with great success at the Bundeswehr University, Faculty of Aeronautics and Aerospace. The topic was "The Application of Hansen-Systems in Celestial Mechanics and Astro Dynamics". Cordially congratulations Dr. Jochim!
Young Scientist Award - Esteban Aguilera
14 March 2011
- We are proud to announce that our PhD student Esteban Aguilera won the "Young Scientist Award" for his presentation last week at the URSI Symposium in Garmisch-Partenkirchen! Herr Aguilera is DAAD awardee. He is with us since more than one year now. His doctoral thesis is, mainly, about polarimetric SAR tomography. Within the next weeks his work also be presented in the framework of our Institute seminar.
Best graduate in his course - Thomas Oberwallner
22 November 2010
- We are glad to announce that Thomas Oberwallner who worked for 3 years half-and-half here at DLR, Microwaves and Radar Institute, Department of Reconnaissance and Security, Group Signatures and also at the Dual Academy Baden-Württemberg (DHBW) in Mannheim, Germany, finished his Bachelor degree as Best in his course on 19 November 2010. He has been honored in front of an audience of 6000 attendees, also DLR as the education facility has been valued in this context.
Doctor's Degree Dr.-Ing. - Esra Erten
17 November 2010
- Yesterday, our former colleague Esra Erten defended her thesis entitled "Information theory of multi-temporal SAR systems with application to motion detection and change detection" at the Technische Universität Berlin with great success. Her work was supported by DAAD and took place half-and-half at TU Berlin and DLR Oberpfaffenhofen. Esra will further serve science and especially the SAR field: She will have a postdoc position at ETH Zurich, chair of Prof. Irena Hajnsek. We wish great success for the future and hope to see more thrilling scientific results from her.
"Phillip-Matthäus-Hahn-Stiftung" Award - Bastian Calaminus
02. November 2010
- We are glad to announce that our colleague Herr Bastian Calaminus, Group System Engineering, Department Reconnaissance and Security, finished his Master course in „Systems Engineering“ at the Gratuate School of Albstadt-Sigmaringen with certificate "Best of the Year". He has been granted thus with the "Phillip-Matthäus-Hahn-Stiftung" award. We congratulate him very much to this award and his very successfull Masters degree.
"DLR Wissenschaftspreis 2010" in honor of scientific achievements - Nico Gebert
08 September 2010
- We are glad to accounce that Nico Gebert received this years's "DLR Wissenschaftspreis" in honor of his outstanding scientific achievements with respect to the conception and analysis of novel multi-aperture digital beamforming SAR Systems. We cordially congratulate Nico to this award!
Best Paper Award - Matteo Nannini and Ralf Horn
We are glad to accounce that Matteo Nannini and Ralf Horn recently received the Best Paper Prize at the 7th Joint SEAS & EMRS DTC Technical Conference 2010 in Edinburgh. The title is: Nick Walker, Ralf Horn, Armando Marino, Matteo Nannini, Ian Woodhouse: "The SARTOM Project: Tomography and polarimetry for enhanced target detection for foliage penetrating airborne P-band and L-band SAR".
Doctor's Degree Dr.-Ing. - Koichi Iribe
Since today, 19 August 2010,
is Dr. Koichi Iribe. We are very happy to let you know that Koichi Iribe successfully defended his PhD thesis at the Tohoku University, in Sendai, Japan. Koichi spend two years in our institute working in the Pol-InSAR group on the Detection and Application of Coherent Scatterers. Since August 2009 he is back in Japan writing up his thesis on "Investigation on Coherent Scatterers in Natural Environment for SAR Multi-Image Applications" that finally defended with success today (19 August 2010). We congratulate and wish him all the best for his future.
Doctor's Degree Dr.-Ing. with "summa cum laude" - Jayanti J. Sharma
We are very happy to inform you that
Jayanti J. Sharma
successfully defended yesterday, 12 August 2010, her PhD with distinction at the Karlsruher Institut für Technologie (KIT), Fakultät for Elektrotechnik und Informationtechnik. She was working the last four years at the Pol-InSAR research group on the thesis entitled "Estimation of Glacier Ice Extinction Coefficient using Long-wavelength Polarimetric Interferometric Synthetic Aperture Radar". We like to congratulate her for this achievement and wish her a successful continuation of her research career.
First Place Student Award, EUSAR 2010 - Jayanti J. Sharma
We are glad to announce that
Jayanti J. Sharma
was awarded the „Best Student Paper Award“ at EUSAR 2010. The award certificate reads as "First Place Student Award" to Jayanti J. Sharma "For a very significant contribution to the field of Synthetic Aperture Radar entitled": "Long-wavelength Pol-InSAR for glacier ice extinction estimation" co-authored with Irena Hajnsek and Konstantinos Papathanassiou. Cordial congratulations to Jayanti and her co-authors!
Best Master Degree Thesis Prize, 2010 IEEE Gold Remote Sensing Conference - Anna Fontana
We are very happy to inform you that Anna Fontana was awarded with the prize for the best Master Degree thesis on remote sensing topics discussed in Italy in 2009 during the IEEE GOLD Remote Sensing Conference, held 29/30 April 2010 in Livorno, Italy. This is a national prize awarded every year by the IEEE Geoscience and Remote Sensing South Italy Chapter. Anna performed her master thesis on forest structure estimation in our institute within the PolInSAR group in 2009 and defended the thesis successful in December 2009 at the University of Napoli. She was supervised by Seung-Kuk Lee and Kostas Papathanassiou.
Center of Excellence, SAR Technology and Applications, 2010 – 2012
Our Institute, the Microwaves and Radar Institute, has been awarded the title "Center of Excellence, SAR Technology and Applications" for another three years: from 2010-2012.
Doctor's Degree Dr.-Ing. - Christian Beine
Dipl.-Ing. Christian Beine
, fomerly with the Microwaves and Radar Institute, received a doctor's degree "Dr.-Ing." on 11 November 2009 with his thesis „Theoretische und experimentelle Untersuchungen zu einem vollpolarimetrischen, breitbandigen Mehrfrequenz-Radarsystem mit synthetischer Apertur für komplexe Szenarien“ from the Ruhr-Universitaet Bochum.
Doctor's Degree Dr.-Ing. - Matteo Nannini
Dipl.-Ing. Matteo Nannini
, Microwaves and Radar Institute, received a doctor's degree "Dr.-Ing." on 15 December 2009 from the University Karlsruhe with his dissertation about „Advanced Synthetic Aperture Radar Tomography: Processing Algorithms and Constellation Design”.
Doctor's Degree Dr.-Ing. - Michele Galletti
Dipl.-Ing. Michele Galletti
, Microwaves and Radar Institute, received a doctor's degree "Dr.-Ing." on 30 June 2009 from the Technische Universitaet Chemnitz with his dissertation about „Polarimetric Weather Radar”.
Doctor's Degree Dr.-Ing. with "summa cum laude" - Nicolas Gebert
Dipl.-Ing. Nicolas Gebert
, Microwaves and Radar Institute, received a doctor's degree "Dr.-Ing." on 04 June 2009 from the University of Karlsruhe with his dissertation „Multi-Channel Azimuth Processing for High-Resolution Wide-Swath SAR Imaging” with "summa cum laude".
Best Paper Presentation Award - Hauke Fiedler
Dr. Hauke Fiedler
, Microwaves and Radar Institute, wins the "Best Paper Presentation Award" for his presentation „Earth Observation with SAR Satellite Formations: New Techniques and Innovative Products“ with co-Authors
Dr. Gerhard Krieger
Prof. Alberto Moreira
at IAA Symposium on Small Satellites for Earth Observation 2009.
Otto Lilienthal Research Semester 2009 - Gerhard Krieger
Dr.-Ing. Gerhard Krieger
, Microwaves and Radar Institute, wins the "Otto Lilienthal Research Semester 2009" awarded by "Gesellschaft von Freunden des Deutschen Zentrums für Luft- und Raumfahrt". It is associated with a longer stay at NASA/JPL.
Best Poster Award - Eric Schreiber
Dipl.-Ing. Eric Schreiber
, Microwaves and Radar Institute, wins the "Best Poster Award" for its presentation „First Design Investigations on a Fully-Electronic Microwave Imaging Radiometer System“ at the German Microwave Conference 2009.
Professor at the Eidgenoessische Technische Hochschule (ETH) Zurich - Irena Hajnsek
04 June 2009
- Dr. Irena Hajnsek, Microwaves and Radar Institute, has been appointed Professor at the Eidgenoessische Technische Hochschule (ETH) Zurich in Zurich, Switzerland, in Department Environmental Engineering, Building and Geomatics. There, she will fill in the professorship of Remote Sensing from November 2009.
Private Lecturer at Technische Universität Berlin - Andreas Reigber
Dr. Andreas Reigber
, Microwaves and Radar Institute, has been appointed Private Lecturer at Technische Universität Berlin. He will lecture "Microwave and Radar Remote Sensing".
Honorary Professor at Ludwig-Maximilians-University (LMU) Munich - Wolfgang Keydel
28 October 2008
- Since July 2008, Dr. Wolfgang Keydel supports the Falculty of Geoscience at Ludwig-Maximilians-University (LMU) Munich in Munich, Germany, as honorary professor for microwave remote sensing.
Copyright © 2013 German Aerospace Center (DLR). All rights reserved.