The ESA project ANTARES (AeroNauTicAl Resources Satellite based) is the second phase (B) of the ESA Iris programme (in the framework of ARTES 10). Within this study a new satellite communication standard for Air Traffic Management is being defined, together with the design and definition of the entire system architecture.
The outcomes of the ANTARES project represent the satellite based solution within the SESAR Joint Undertaking (Single European Sky ATM Research).
The results of this study shall contribute to a modernization and improvement in efficiency of Air Traffic Management from the year 2020 on. The solutions developped in ANTARES shall provide pilots and crews with the means of digital communication in continental as well as oceanic remote and polar regions.
To achieve this, a communication standard is being developped within a 2 year study phase which will be verified and validated in a verification testbed afterwards.
The main tasks within ANTARES are:
Design and development of a new satellite communication standard for Air Traffic Management and specification of this standard for international standardization
Validation of the specified communication standard within a verification testbed, which is also being designed and developped within ANTARES
Design of all components of the communication system, including the satellite space segment and the involved ground segments
Development of a prototype of a low-cost on board satellite terminal and proof of concept
DLR tasks include:
- Detailed characterization of the mobile aeronautical propagation channel for different airspace domains
- Complement of the multiple access study analyzing the feasibility of OFDMA as MAC scheme for forward and return link
- Analysis, specification and dimensioning of the best suitable random access schemes
- Design and evaluation of Low Density Parity Check (LDPC) Forward Error Correction (FEC) mechanisms
The overall ANTARES project consists of 2 different phases:
- ANTARES Phase-B1, with a duration of 8 months for the System Requirement Review (SRR) and specification of the communication standard baselines
- ANTARES Phase-B2, with a duration of 16 months from the time of the SRR to the Preliminary Design Review (PDR) for refinement and validation of the communication standard.
- Thales Alenia Space Italia
- Thales Alenia Space France
- Thales Avionics Ltd
- Aedel Aerospace
- Airtel ATN
- IGUASSU SoftwareSystems
- NEXT Ingegneria Dei Sistemi
- OHB System AG
- Space Engineering
- Syderal SA
- Thales Alenia Space Espana
- University of Salzburg
- Thales Land and Joint