The Engineering department develops and designs test facilities for propulsion systems. It also builds test launchers to examine technological issues, and supports developments in research and technology.
Strategic test facility competencies are:
• Testing propulsion systems in outer space conditions (altitude simulation)
• Control systems for the engines’ hot exhaust gases
• Stage-like supply conditions
• Measurement, control and monitoring systems, both standardised and as tailored solutions.
General core competencies are:
• The use of new materials and production processes
• Numerical simulations and verification through test results
• Diagnostics, measurement and data analysis
• Technical project management
Current projects involve developing numerical methods with the ProTau DLR code, the P5.2 stage test facility; exhaust gas control systems to reduce noise, and an advanced altitude simulation on the P8 test facility.