Testing under flight conditions - Test as you fly! - Testing under flight conditions = "flight light"
Testing under flight conditions - Fly as you test! – Safe mission forecast and high reliability
• validating models for systems within their performance limits
• characterising system behaviour should models be too complex, imprecise or challenging
• identifying manufacturing, integration and control tolerances
• defining operational thresholds for functional behaviour
Test programs in Lampoldshausen
• research test: analysing special phenomena to get a deeper insight and widen the model range
• development test: examining the technical status and level of maturity for systems, partial systems and components
• qualification test: proof of technical specification
• acceptance test: proof of mission requirements
• ARTA (Research and Technology Accompaniment Program), in the future: LEAP (Launchers Exploitation Accompaniment Program)
Current and future tasks
• testing the transient stage during ignition, burn-out and re-ignition
• testing throttle engines
• testing new highly-expansion nozzles, new jet geometries and materials
• new combustibles
Stage-like interface conditions
Testing under stage-like supply conditions for pressure and temperature with liquid hydrogen and oxygen, particularly in transient stages during cooling, ignition and burnout.
Stage test facility-Testing of the new upper stage in Ariane 6
Legal requirements (e.g. German Federal Immission Control Act)
According to the Act on the Prevention of Harmful Effects on the Environment (German Federal Immission Control Act) DLR is an enterprise with additional obligations. The Engineering Department is in charge of developing and testing noise reduction tools on the technology and development test stand P8.