Diplomarbeiten, Studienarbeiten, Praktika
Reconstructing the Hand Using Ultrasound Images (Master's Thesis OR Internship)
26. August 2013
Description of work
in the Bionics group, in the framework of rehabilitation and pain therapy, we have developed a system which predicts the finger positions and forces using live ultrasound images.
in a nutshell: we capture live ultrasound images of the forearm of a human subject using a standard ultrasound medical device, just like the ones used in hospitals; features of the images are associated to hand joint positions and forces; subsequently, positions and forces are predicted using the images. the prediction actuates a 3D hand model on the screen, which then replicates the intended hand motion / force.
you are required to push this system to the limit:
- using fewer / better image features
- predicting more degrees of freedom (wrist, finger abduction, PIP joints, ...)
- obtaining combined predictions
- improving the visualisation
the third point is of special interest: so far our machine only predicts forces for a single degree of freedom, but we'd like to be able to predict multiple, simultaneous force applications (e.g., flexing theindex and the little finger at the same time). tests on healthy subjects will be performed as we go about; test on amputees or pain patients are possible.
- literature survey
- getting familiar with the existing hardware and software
- improving the system
- of special interest: combined / independent prediction of degrees of freedom
- test on intact subjects / on amputees?
- knowledge of machine learning
- basic skills in image processing
- interest /skills in functional calculus / variational methods
- good knowledge of matlab, basic knowledge of C++ and C#
Beginning and duration
6 months minimum, starting immediately
Institut für Robotik und Mechatronik, Robotersysteme
Tel: +49 8153 28-1093
Fax: +49 8153 28-1134