The Paris office was opened over 30 years ago and stands for many years of Franco-German cooperation. It is DLR’s representative in France and the point of contact and intermediary with French research facilities, institutions and industry. At the heart of Franco-German relations, the office sees itself as a showcase for all of DLR's priority areas, an embassy for DLR employees on site, an advisor on topics relevant to France, and a networker in the service of Franco-German collaboration projects.
The office's convenient and central location, close to the European Space Agency (ESA), provides the ideal starting point for collaboration with French partner institutions and the various space-related European and international actors (ESA delegations, NASA, JAXA, etc).
The office hosts a series of conference rooms that are available to DLR staff for meetings. By inviting partners to DLR's Paris office, DLR highlights the importance of France as a partner country and a meeting on equal footing is made possible. Receptions, technical conferences, bilateral talks, signings and workshops can be held in the premises.
Tasks & services of the DLR Paris Office
- Representation of DLR to political, scientific and industrial institutions and organisations in France
- Establishment, development and sustainment of relations with partner organisations, authorities, research and development institutions, industry, international institutions and relevant German institutions
- Facilitation of contact persons at DLR
- Initiation, mediation and expansion of research and technology collaborations
- Supporting the German Space Agency at DLR in carrying out its activities in the service of the Federal Government
- Information and analysis of information from and about France, current political and research-relevant events and trends, as well as development of recommendations for action for DLR and the relevant ministries
- Informing French partners about DLR activities and developments
- Representing DLR at relevant trade fairs, congresses and events for public relations work and in networks
- Supporting DLR's overall presence at the Paris Air Show, IAC (International Astronautical Congress), etc. – which offer excellent opportunities for increasing visibility and initiating collaborations
- Preparation, support and follow-up of delegation trips and appearances by DLR representatives in France, in particular the annual high-level DLR reception – a presentation platform and networking opportunity with French players from all DLR focal areas
- Support of German employees at ESA on behalf of the German Space Agency at DLR, by monitoring the personnel situation, advising and coaching potential applicants
- Advice on personnel exchange projects with French institutions
Cooperation partners in France
France is DLR's first strategic European partner, with numerous cooperation activities in aeronautics, space, energy, transport, digitalisation and security.
Key partners in DLR's aeronautics, space, energy, transport and digitalisation research areas include:
The European Space Agency (ESA), the French space agency CNES (Centre national d'études spatiales), the French Aerospace Industries Association (GIFAS), the French Aerospace Lab ONERA, CNRS (National Centre for Scientific Research), Airbus, ArianeGroup, DFBEW (The Franco-German Office for the Energy Transition/OFATE), the French Alternative Energies and Atomic Energy Commission (CEA), Gustave Eiffel University, SNCF (national state-owned railway company) and INRIA (National Institute for Research in Digital Science and Technology).