The Institute of Maritime Energy Systems researches and develops innovative solutions to reduce the use of fossil fuels and the resulting emissions in the maritime transport sector as well as enable its increased use of renewable energy sources. The maritime sector accounts for 80 percent of international freight transport, making it a cornerstone of the world economy. However, most ships today still use heavy fuel oil, a fossil fuel which degrades air quality. As a result, the sector is responsible for approximately three percent of global greenhouse gas emissions. The Institute of Maritime Energy Systems considers the entire energy conversion chain of maritime applications. The solutions developed here are brought into use in cooperation with the maritime industry.
Strategic topics and goals
- Reduction of emissions in the maritime transport sector and increased use of renewable energy in shipping
- Development, integration and testing of efficient energy systems for ships, such as fuel cells, batteries, DC grid systems, wind-assisted propulsion systems and solar panels among others
- Development of onboard energy storage and infrastructure for the use of alternative fuels
- Development of design methods for the ship integration and reliability assessment of new energy systems
- Development of design and evaluation methods and technologies for the provision and distribution of electricity, heating and cooling on board ships
- Development of transport concepts for the import and export of alternative fuels
- Development of energy supply infrastructure for ports
- Development of intelligent, discrete, statistical and deterministic simulation methods based on digital twins for controlling and evaluating complex systems
The Institute is constructing a large-scale test infrastructure consisting of an onshore laboratory and a research vessel for developing and testing modular energy system and ship concepts. This infrastructure will provide an unprecedented range of testing capabilities, enable efficient method and concept validation through data analysis and ensure the reliability of the solutions developed.